Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default .doc extension appears in Open box

If you have Windows set to hide the extensions of known file types (the
default setting) then normally Word documents being a known type would have
their extensions hidden. If the registry association for Word documents has
been lost, then the file types would no longer be 'known' file types and so
the extensions would be displayed. My advice was to re-register Word so that
the file type is again known to Windows.

Ron O'Brien wrote:
Graham,

I think you may have misinterpreted my problem (probably me not
explaining it fully).

Normally when I go to open a document I have previously created I
would go to File \ open and the open dialogue box appears with just
the file names in for example: Document01. Now however, when that
dialogue box appears that file is shown as: Document01.doc It is the
same with MS Works, only files appear with the .wps visible

Ron

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Whether or not you hide then extensions for known file types, they
are still required and it is probably a good idea to display them;
however in this case it appears that the registry associations for
these files may have been lost.

First see how to re-register Word when problems crop up opening files
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm and if that
doesn't fix it select a document in Windows Explorer, right click and
choose Open with...

From the ensuing dialog select Word (winword.exe) and check the box
to always open with this application.

Ron O'Brien wrote:
This is strange.... switched on the PC today and for some reason
when I go to open a document in Word (Office2003) or Works the
document title appears together with the file extension (i.e. .doc
.wps etc). Although not a big issue, it is nevertheless irritating and I
can't
see why it should suddenly start doing this, when I switched off
last night I didn't get the extensions - how do I switch them off
again? Thanks in advance