Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ron O'Brien Ron O'Brien is offline

Default .doc extension appears in Open box

That is what has happened, somehow between switching my PC off last night
and turning it on again this morning the 'Hide File Extensions for Known
File Types' became unticked!!!

Sorry, are you saying that if I do hide file extensions, (i.e. tick that
option) that creates a security issue? As I would have thought that hiding
the extension would make it more difficult for a virus infection

Ron

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
That is absolutely normal unless you enable the Hide File Extensions for
Known File Types in Explorer. However, this is a security risk as it opens
the door for a virus infection. You should not use that option and MS
should remove it.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Ron O'Brien" wrote in message
Graham,

I think you may have misinterpreted my problem (probably me not
explaining it fully).

Normally when I go to open a document I have previously created I would
go to File \ open and the open dialogue box appears with just the file
names in for example: Document01. Now however, when that dialogue box
appears that file is shown as: Document01.doc It is the same with MS
Works, only files appear with the .wps visible

Ron