Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ron O'Brien Ron O'Brien is offline

Default .doc extension appears in Open box

Hmm I've not removed any Windows up-dates and I'm the only user of this PC.
It just suddenly started happening Monday, I've not removed or installed
anything.

I've just re-booted the PC to see if the "Hide file extensions..." option
becomes un-ticked again, but it hasn't so we'll have to see what happens
again tomorrow morning - I like a bit of intrigue...ever since I started
using Windows!!! :-)

Ron

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
Far more likely a Windows Update removed.

Terry

"Ron O'Brien" wrote in message
Thanks for the explanation Jay.

One really strange thing is this morning the thing happened again! All
the file extensions are visible and the tick has gone from the 'Hide File
Extensions for Known File Types' option.
I've run a virus check and spyware/malware check no problems - just weird
why all of a sudden this is happening

Ron