Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
carbon06 carbon06 is offline

Default Word 2007 - mailmerge, live update of recipients

I also have the same issue, but I am using XP Professional, so it's not
strictly a Vita/Office 2007 problem. I will try Office 2007 sp2 and see if it
resolves the problem. Thanks.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Thanks Doug, particularly for arguing that the hotfix should be
distributed automatically.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 27/11/2009 08:39, Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
Be aware that there is a serious bug in SP2 for Word 2007 that causes it
to corrupt values stored in document variables.

The following is a communication that I have sent to my contacts at
Microsoft on the matter:

...., there is the following very serious issue that does not seem to be
getting the required attention:

1. Service Pack 2 for Office 2007 was widely distributed and would have
been
in many cases automatically installed.
2. On a computer with Service Pack 2 installed, document variables are
corrupted when the document is saved, or when a saved document is
re-opened €“ it is not know at what point it happens, but that is not really
significant. The thing is that it happens and the user is not aware that it
happens until the document is re-opened, and only then if they look at a
place in the document where the value of the variable is displayed by means
of a Docvariable field.
3. Many users would not even be aware that they are creating documents in
which the variables are, or will be corrupted.
4. A hotfix
(http://support.microsoft.com/default...rss&spid=11377)

has been issued that does fix (prevent) the problem from occurring.
5. As it is a hotfix, it is only available to people who (a) know they have
a problem (which some would not), (b) know that there is a hotfix, and (c)
specifically request it.

My contention is that as this €œvirus€ was released by an automatic update
(SP2), the fix for it should be distributed in the same manner.

Unquote

If you run into this problem, go to the website for which the link is
given in item 4. and get a copy of the hotfix.

.