HT

WordPerfect uses direct formatting ..whereas you apply the formatting to the
text directly each and every instance.

Word uses "styles" whereas you have a "container" of formatting features
that you can apply to each paragraph in one shot..not constantly apply the
same formatting over and over.

For example: "BodyText Indent" is they style you need to apply to the
paragraphs that you want indented. You can then modify this style to indent
one inch "Format, Style, Body Text Indent, Format, Paragraph, Indent="one
inch") if the indent is not what you want.

"Word for Dummies" is an excellent book to become accustomed to Word..and
its not for Dummies at all..the name is part of a series of books.

Have fun..and welcome to the wonderful world of Word!

wrote in message
oups.com...
We are struggling with the changeover to Word 2000, made necessary
because with our new network software WordPerfect kept crashing.

In creating legal documents it is important to keep manual control of
numbering and lettering. This is because we are often quoting from the
middle of other documents, and we often have to start with (say)
subparagraph "r", skip to "t", and go on to sub-subparagraph (iii),
etc.

I see that to indent after a number or letter, you type the number or
letter, hit TAB, then CTRL+T (hanging indent), and type. The text
wraps around and you get an evenly indented paragraph after the letter
number. For example:

2. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blha blha blha alah alhaal bla ha lh.

3. Blah lahg lha a blh ablh a blh blah blah blh alh
l alh lha lha lah .

etc.

But this doesn't work if you want to indent twice. What I want is:

3. a. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

b. blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah

After hitting the TAB after "a.", I hit CTRL+T -- but then the "a" gets
indented too. Further, only the first line indents twice -- the text
then wraps back to the first indent. Hitting CTRL+M is even worse
because the "3" gets indented as well.

Making a doubly indented paragraph is a routine, everday task, and I
assume the solution must be simple too. How do I get it to indent
twice without indenting the number and letter too?