Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Custom Envelope Dimension Limitation

I use barcodes in my envelope templates. It requires a little more work in
the initial setup, but it all works automatically once set up correctly (the
entire address is bookmarked, and the bar code references that bookmark).

"BCB" wrote in message
Thank you again. I really do prefer to use the envelope dialog, especially
with the option to use barcodes and so on. I find it simpler than the
alternative, but may consider it. I was hoping it was possible to fix the
apparent bugs in the envelope dialog, but I'm no one knows of a way to do

so.
Thanks for the alternative approaches though.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you create a template for these labels (especially if you incorporate
Graham's button), it will be just as easy to use as the dialog. I never

use
the Envelopes dialog; I have custom templates for all the different

envelope
sizes I use (and they are many).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"BCB" wrote in message
Thank you. As noted in the reply below, I understand that I can do

this.
What
I am trying to do is to make the Envelopes and Labels function work

for
envelopes (actually labels) of the desired size to make this as easy

as
possible. What I am trying to understand is why there is a limitation

of
6.4"
(smallest) and if there is a simple way to override it.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Please reread what Graham is telling you: Do not attempt this

through
the
Envelopes and Labels dialog. Instead, create a new Blank Document,

go to
Page Setup, set the paper size to 6" x 4" (or whatever is the

closest
size
your printer driver offers as a built-in paper size), and set the

margins as
desired. If you must settle for a larger paper size, adjust the

margins
accordingly.

Use the Envelope Return and Envelope Address styles (or any others

you
choose) to create your document. Use a plain sheet of paper for a

practice
run; draw a 6" x 4" rectangle on it (in the position where you will

be
feeding your label) and see where your document prints. Readjust the

margins
as needed.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"BCB" wrote in message
OK, well, let me try again and maybe someone can explain what I am

doing
wrong. If I select a Custom envelope size and select 6" x 4", Word

gives
me
an error message that the smallest length dimension it will accept

is
6.4".
When I accept that, I then attempt to select, on the same menu

screen,
under
Return Address, From Left .5", for example. Word limits my From

Left
margin
for the return address to .25". When printing with this envelope

margin,
the
return address is off the envelope. Alternatively, I have selected

several
other standard envelope sizes, but none allows me to select a From

Left
value
that is large enough to move the return address onto the envelope

when
printing and using those other sizes places the mailing address in

an
inappropriate location on the envelope.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

That is not correct. The only limitation on margins is that the

sum
of
the
top and the bottom must not exceed the length of the page and

the
sum of
the
left and the right must not exceed the width.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself

of
my
services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"BCB" wrote in message
Regrettably, Word will only allow a .25 inch adjustment of the
margins,
which
is inadequate to move all type onto the label. I have no idea

why
the
margins
are limited. It seems completely illogical.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Use a size that Word will accept and adjust the margins so

that
you
get
the
text in the location that you want it.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail

yourself
of my
services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"BCB" wrote in message
I am trying to print an individual label as an envelope (to

place on
packages). The label is 4" x 6". When I generate the

envelope
address
function, I select Options, then in the drop-down box under
Envelope
Size,
choose Custom. The default margins I get are 6.38" x 4.49".

overwrite
this
with 6" x 4". I then receive an error message indicating

that
the
smallest
length Word will let me select is 6.4". I do not seem to be

able to
get
around this and when printing the label as an envelope, the

return
address
is
off the page. Is there any work around for this? I am using

an
HP
LaserJet
2550n. HP states that this printer can actually print

something
as
small
as