Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Need help keeping formatting when pasting into other document

What you both are missing is that where you need to add the section break
front of the document. This will preserve the document/section-level
settings in that file.

http://word.mvps.org

"Robert Macy" wrote in message

On Oct 1, 9:12 pm, elzar wrote:
..snip...
I have a big document which someone else sent me a fancy schmancy cover
page to add to it, with a vertical line down one side, a company image,
writing in different styles (or something), an embedded image,
different fonts all over the place etc.

When I paste the cover page into a new blank page in my document it
loses all of its formatting.

I've even tried the PASTE SPECIAL options but they don't work either,
and have different problems. For instance the closest I can get to
keeping the formatting is to use the "Microsoft Word Document Object"
choice from "paste special" but that cuts off one of the pictures in
the document - plus it mysteriously results in the entire cover page
being effing INVISIBLE in normal view, and even worse, when I convert
the document to a PDF (which I need to do) that cover page looks really
really wierd.

What is the magic secret to pasting in part of one document into
another and keeping the original formatting, or is it just not even
possible??????????

...snip...

This confounded me for the longest time too! I took a Cover Page and
added more. THAT did not work well at all! To understand Microsoft's
logic: Think backwards. That is back to front. Even the manuals often
list the most important information at the end.

Anyway, to add a Cover page, start at the end and tack pages onto the
front.:

Terry's got it right, too.

Take the ENDING section first.
Insert before the first page a page break/section break
Now you probably have a blank page at the start, but you're not done
yet. Go to the second section and highlight heading/footing
1 make the heading independent
2 make the footing independent
Now, you're free to paste in the Cover Page onto that blank page
without affecting the rest of your document.

However, I found I had to write down all the settings for my 'cover'
page and manually put them back in, just for that first section.
But, there may be a way to transfer everything, including that
vertical line.

At least doing it as above, you'll get the page numbering starting at
1 on the second page, and the total pages will only count that last
section. Hope that works for you, too.

Robert