Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kimmie B Kimmie B is offline

Default Outline numbering:using a 0

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

"Kimmie B" wrote:

If you can show me where I made some mistakes, I'd be obliged. I've gone
over section 2 of the aforementioned article pretty closely I cannot find my
error.

Maybe there is confusion arising from the gap between your
expectations/desires and Word limits.
I do not understand what you mean by "skipping a level".

What I mean by "skipping a level" is designating one paragraph as a Heading
1 (level 1, "1.0") and the paragraph that immediately follows as a Heading 3
(level 3, which I'd like to be numbered as "1.0.1") Therefore, there is no
Heading 2 as one would expect in proper writing form. (It's what the client
asked for.)

I concur with DeanH's suggestion to follow basic documentation ruling and
never skip a level. I'm trying to balance what I know to be basic writing
rules and the format that the client wants.

I appreciate your time and comments. If you know of a way to force Word to
use a 0 when a skip a heading level, that would be great.

In your sample below, you do not skip a level, you just go from 1.0 to 2.1.
That, to me, does not make sense. Where is 2.0 (or 2.)? Is that the skipped
level you mention?

Also, 1.0 cannot be level 1, unless the 0 is hard coded into the level 1
definition. 1.0 must be level 2 (or heading 2).

How did you get Word to display 1.0?

I added the 0 on the Customize Outline Numbered List in the Number format
field for Level 1 only. For levels 2-4 I used the default numbering format,
and then level 5 does has some alternate formatting that the client asked
for. All those work just fine.

I must be missing something here...

I used heading styles.

Heading 1 gives me something that looks like this: 1.0 Project Description

Heading 2 gives me: 2.1 Master/Vision Planning

Heading 3 gives me: 2.1.1 Purpose

Heading 4 gives me: 2.1.1.1 Healthcare

Indenting and numbering works perfectly, EXCEPT that numbering does not
insert a 0 if I skip a heading level.

Can you show us an example of text with a skipped level?