Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan Freeman Dan Freeman is offline

Default Vertical line - name and how-to re-create

This conversation interested me because I always thought that character had
a different "typographic" name, and I was surprised you called it the
computer-ese "pipe".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_character

I particularly chuckled at its use in Khoisan orthography. g

I distinctly remember the old green-screen monitors showing the two vertical
bars and needing ASCII 179 to get a true vertical bar. When did these two
characters get mixed/subsumed/whatever?

Dan

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Now that you mention it, that's how it looks on my (Dell) keyboard as
well.
I imagine it prints that way in some fonts.

so
all may benefit.

"proofreader" wrote in message
Thank you Suzanne! On my keyboard it actually appears as 2 vertical

dashes.
(I had hoped you would answer because I know you use that character. And

now
I know what it's called!).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you are talking about the pipe (|) character, it's usually above the
backslash (\) on a keyboard. The exact location will depend on the

keyboard.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"proofreader" wrote in message
RE the vertical line that's used as a slash all over pages--just look

at
the
top of the Office Online page; it appears between Office Home and

Office
Worldwide--(1) what is it called (2) how do you create it?
Many, many thanks.