Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Susan Susan is offline

Default Stand-Alone Word?

If someone sends me an Excel or Powerpoint file extension can Word (or ?)
read it only or do I need to have those applications installed even if
looking at them only is all I have in mind doing? In the past at least I
believe the answer has been 'no', you must have those applications installed
but I can count on one hand still the times I've wanted to look at anything
other document outside of Word using some other Office document.

The last time I looked and/or called to see if I could buy Word as a
stand-alone app I got nowhere. Is it still called Word and/or is it bundled
in renamed something else in The Works for a whole lot less?
--
~Susan~

"grammatim" wrote:

On May 9, 5:50 am, Susan wrote:
Is it possible to purchase Word as a stand-alone without the rest of Office?
Either now or in a year or so when I migrate everything to Windows 7?
--
~Susan~

Yes. But if you think you might ever have any reason to use any of the
other components (Excel is the most likely), it wouldn't be economical
not to get one of the smaller "suites" right away.