Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
scotteh scotteh is offline

Default Need some Search & Replace help

Thanks guys! However... didnt work. I understand what that SHOULD do,
so I pasted it in (didnt even type it, PASTED! so I wouldnt make any
mistakes, tried both even though they seem identical) and hit Find Next
and it said "the search item was not found".

Nothing in the document was highlighted. It just cant find a match! I
even tried just ([0-9]{2}) to see if it would find the first 2 and no
go. Then I put spaces between the first sets. Nothing. Then I added
just the number 23 on a blank line and put the cursor on a line before
it. Still found nothing!

This is Word 2000 SR1 btw.

These are the exact first few lines:

MIX 219902
MIX 222202
MIX 219803
MIX 219802
MIX 219903
MIX 212302
MIX 241103
MIX 255301

I've already put a tab between MIX and the numbers.

Any other ideas?

Scott

Jay Freedman wrote:
In the Replace dialog, first click the More button and check the box for
"Use wildcards".

Copy the next line and paste it in the Find What box:
Copy/paste the next line in the Replace With box:
\1^t\2^t\3
Click the Replace All button, and you're done.