Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TedMi TedMi is offline

Default How do I keep an application open while closing a document?

Word 07 by default goes into "Single Document Interface" (SDI) mode, which
means that each doc gets opened in its own top-level window. What you want is
the MDI mode, which can open and display multiple docs in one top-level
window. In that mode, you will get a Close icon on the second line, which
applies to the active doc only. To switch to MDI, go to Word Options,
Advanced, and change the setting for "All Windows in Task Bar" - my Off2007
installation is broken at the moment, so I can't give you specific chapter
and verse.
Happy New Year!
--
TedMi