Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default How to insert page number X of Y ?

Blue Max wrote:
We want a footer that includes "Page X of Y" where X equals the page
number and Y equals total pages. The problem, however, is that our
footers often already exists and includes a fair amount of custom
design work. In our experience, selecting a page number from the
gallery with the proper format, replaces the existing footer.

Therefore, how does one simply insert the codes for 'current page' and
'total pages' into the existing text of the footer in order to
preserve the current design?

On the Insert Page Number button, choose the Current Position item instead
of the Bottom of Page item, and choose the Page X of Y entry from that
gallery. It will probably also insert a paragraph mark formatted with Normal
style, which you'll have to delete so the remaining paragraph mark is
formatted in Footer style.

A better solution is to make an AutoText or AutoComplete entry from the text
of the Page X of Y entry, without its paragraph mark, and insert that when
needed instead of using the Page Number button.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman