Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man

Default Bullets and Numbering

Bummer. It would be nice if Word would let you do what you want AND let you
use the handy shortcuts, too.

There's GOTTA be a default setting for the numbering button somewhere.

:-(

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Use the List Number style instead of applying numbering using the Numbering
button.

"Idaho Word Man" wrote in message
I am running Word 2003 in Windows XP Professional.

When I open a new document based on my Normal template, if I try to number
my paragraphs, it automatically gives me a first-line indent of 0.25" and

hanging indent of 0.25" more. Thanks, Uncle Bill, for trying to

anticipate
what I want, but I don't want a first-line indent. I want the number

flush
with the left margin and a 0.5" hanging indent. A similar thing happens

when
I apply a bullet, but the indents are a little bit different.

I know how to change the indents to what I want, one document at a time,

but
I'd like to change them in my Normal template so that I get the

indentation I
want every time I start a new document. I've tried opening normal.dot to
modify the styles, but when I bullet a paragraph in normal.dot, it doesn't
give me a style I can change. The style remains at Normal. If I choose
"Modify to match selection," then my Normal style is numbered.

Anybody know where to change the default numbering scheme in normal.dot?

Thanks,

Fred