Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default using Word field "if" for a list item?

1. What if you select the document (e.g. control-A) and re-execute all the
fields (F9)?

2. Word will actually display the /current/ value of any REF field when you
re-execute it. The { = } approach only works because Word executes all the
fields sequentially from the beginnin gof the document. So at one point when
it executes { S }, it will be 1, then after the next { = } , it will be 2,
and so on. But if you actually go back and select and re-execute, that first
{ S }, it will have the same value as the last in the list.

Peter Jamieson

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 30, 1:02 pm, wrote:
Oops...please disregard that last post. Word seems to be occasionally
reluctant to properly update the WYSIWYG for these constructs, and I
have to toggle the preview a couple of times to get it right. I think
you've got this one whipped. Thanks a ton!

A followup question: I created and edited this file on a Mac (using
Word 2004) and then transferred it to a Windows machine (running Word
2003). All of my visible values for the list numbers were set to the
value of the final list element (13 in this case). Any ideas?