Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
L. Mohan Arun L. Mohan Arun is offline

Default Quirk in W2003 grammar

This Software pieces is great
These pieces of Software is great
You now completely change the topic, because the subject of the verb
is no longer "software," but "pieces"; of course the verb (as well as
the determinter "these") must be plural, and if "Word2003 grammar"
does not recognize that, then it's a pretty basic flaw in "Word2003
grammar."

No this is not a different topic - take a look at the topic again -
"Quirk in W2003 grammar" related to the keyword "software". So in your
opinion it is "pretty basic flaw". Not mine. I think it is a flaw
nonetheless.

It is blindly taking "software" as singular even though I have
qualified it with "pieces". So it IS something to do with W2003
grammar with the word "software"
You have not understood English grammar. What it should be reacting to
is not "software" at all, because "software" is not the subject of the
verb; "pieces" is.

You have an attitude problem with non-English speakers that clouds
your objective judgement, if you have any. The word "pieces" by itself
is recognized as plural correctly, but when used with the "software"
combination it creates a problem. So "software" is still the problem.

I have to say that you seem to be getting irritable with this thread
because you are indulging on a direct personal attack rather than
being an objective contributor. If this thread irritates you, then why
you are posting at all? Let others reply if at all they do.

Yes, I am getting irritable, because you continue to misstate the most
elementary facts of English grammar.

yeah so, there are millions of people worldwide who have mistaken
assumptions in worldwide forum threads or newsgroup threads like this.
But you are the single person I have ever come across that indulged in
a direct attack and I would attribute it to your attitude about non-
English speakers who are using English.

You had not previously brought up the word "download," and I most
definitely do not want to know what your problem with it is.

Who said I wanted *you* to know what my problem is - This is a public
thread where others can read and understand about W2003 grammar
issues. I am not asking *you* in particular about any problem with the
word "download" in W2003 grammar.

You were rude to Suzanne, one of the nicest people anywhere, and
then
you ignored her second reply, so she wisely withdrew from the thread,

leaving it to me, who am known to be able to be rude to people who
provoke rudeness.

Are you out of your mind? I have not been rude to anybody in any
thread. Please clean your glasses from 40 years use and read through
the thread again from top to bottom for any hint of rudeness on my
part. It is *you* who are being rude to me, not the other way around.
If you can help, help. Otherwise please find somewhere else to post
about your irritations. And I have not "ignored her second reply"
because you replied after her, and I have replied concerning *your*
post. I have not provoked any rudeness - if you are rude to me on a
public thread, I can be rude too.

If you really wanted to say that "software" is a mass or uncountable
noun you could have given an authoritative link like this:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_noun
I am not interested in *YOUR* opinion about English grammar or whether
Word 2003 grammar is correct or not, as you yourself may have English
as second language.

Your arrogance is unbelievable.

Maybe you should save your attacks for the people who took your (or
your parents') money for teaching you English, and failing so utterly.

Again, you are *crazy* and *with attitude problem* for saying "my
arrogance is unbelievable". It is who you are being arrogant with me.
And I can say that I do better English than some of the native English
speakers and writers.