Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Turn Off MARKUP in Word 2003

The setting that controls this is in Tools Options Security, "Make
hidden markup visible when opening or saving". If you turn it off,
it's at your own considerable risk.

And, judging from many user reports, probably won't make any difference:
you'll *still* see markup!

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
First, understand that whether the markup is *visible* has nothing to
do with whether Track Changes is turned on or off -- they are separate
settings. You can turn off Track Changes so that no more changes will
be marked, but still have markup visible. Conversely, you can leave
Tracked Changes turned on and remember all the markup, but just not
show it.

Second, Word is showing you the markup for a reason: so you'll know
that there are tracked changes in the document, and you won't email or
otherwise share a document with someone else who will be able to read
the "deleted" text when they shouldn't. The effects of that kind of
mistake can range from embarrassment to lawsuits to international
disputes.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 09:58:01 -0700, Tom
wrote:

I open a file and Markup is ON. I turn it off, save the file, close the

file,
and reopen it - Markup is back ON.
I have located the below instructions and there is NOTHING in the

Properties
box. It would appear that my document is different than the document who

ever
wrote the instructions was using.

How do I get Markup to be turned OFF most of the time. I would like to be
able to turn it on only when I want it on.

"If you turn off change tracking in a document and change tracking is

turned
on when you reopen the document, you may need to modify the file

properties.
On the File menu, click Properties, and then click the Custom tab. In the
Properties box, click each item, click Delete, and then close the

document.
When you open the document again, change tracking is turned off."