Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Table captions converted to figure captions, & vice versa

In addition, if auto captioning is enabled, I don't think there's any way to
get more than one type automatically.

"bufossil" wrote in message
I think I know what causes the error in Word captions. Say you are

working
in a long document that contains many Table captions and many Figure
captions, and the most recent caption you created was a Table caption.

Then you come to a Figure, and want to create a Figure caption. However,
you are going as fast as you can to meet a deadline, so you create Table
caption again by accident (because by default the caption tool retains the
last type you created). After you click the Ok button and look at the
caption, you realize it should be a Figure caption, not a Table caption.

So,
you mouse click in the left margin to select the entire incorrect caption

overwrite it, then select Insert Reference Caption, and make certain

you
select Figure this time. You click OK, and 9 times out of 10 it works.
However, I have now had two documents where Word "merges" the Table and
Figure caption code, so that all of the captions in the document are

either
Table or Figure captions, but Word will no longer allow a mixture of both

in
that document.

To avoid this problem, *never* overwrite a caption with a caption of a
different type. Instead, *always* delete the caption with the incorrect
type, and create a new one in an empty area of the document.

Tim

"bufossil" wrote:

I am working in a 100+ page document that contains about 30 figures and
about 30 tables. Without warning, Word converted all captions to Table
captions. If I change any of the Table captions back to a Figure

caption,
all captions convert to Figure captions.

Does anyone know what is going on? I found 1 person on the Web (on a
different Web site) that had the same problem, but no one provided a
suggestion.

Thanks!