Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Selecting sentence/paragraph with keyboard

It was a little confusing to me at first that two hyphens surrounded by
spaces produce a spaced en dash, whereas two hyphens without spaces produce
an em dash without spaces, but, conveniently, these two results represent
the usage in the U.S. (em dash) and U.K. (spaced en dash), so it works out
nicely.

"Don Ellis" wrote in message

Hi Suzanne,

My apologies... you are quite correct. I must not have begun typing the
following word before deciding it didn't work. And seeing the two hyphens
create an en dash, that just decided it for me.

I don't often visit here but when I do I see your name and your help
everywhere. Thank you very much for all that you do.

I ended up recording a macro for the keystrokes that works perfectly.

Thanks again.

Don

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I am not in the habit of posting untested solutions. On my system,
[space][hyphen][space] does become [space][en dash][space] as

advertised,
though not till after you finish typing the following word (that is,

type
some text followed by a space or punctuation.

Although I don't think you can assign this particular combination to a
keystroke, you can accomplish many things with AutoCorrect (see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customizat...toCorrect.htm), and you can

save
any amount of text as an AutoText entry, and AutoText entries can be
assigned keyboard shortcuts.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Don Ellis" wrote in message

Hi Suzanne,

I do have AutoFormat As You Type set but I think you'll find that you

need
to type [space][hyphen][hyphen][space] to get my en dash with bookend

spaces,
rather than [space][hyphen][space] as you suggest.