Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default "no list" style

To clarify, when I say "list styles," I am not referring to the List Number
and List Bullet series, which are quite useful when linked to a properly
defined outline-numbered list. What I'm referring to is the styles listed on
the List Styles tab of Format | Bullets and Numbering. These appear to be
used to apply outline numbering to paragraphs in a given style such that you
can demote/promote the numbering level without changing the actual style.

Something similar happens, I believe, when you apply one of the built-in
outline-numbered lists to, say, Normal, as direct formatting. You end up
with some Normal paragraphs that are body text and some that are Level 1,
Level 2, etc. You could have a whole document in no style but Normal (as
many users do, of course). I shudder to think...

"Jessica" wrote in message
Thanks, Suzanne. As you suggest, I don't use the list styles except for

List
Continue. I was hoping that "no list" did something useful, but if it is
associated with the list styles it certainly won't.

- Jessica