Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom

Default pasting tables causes nesting

Before cutting or copying a table, make sure that you select its
columns rather than the entire table, that is, make sure *not* to
select the end-of-row markers. On the Edit menu, you'll see "Paste
Columns". On the other hand, if you selected the entire table
(including the end-of-row markers), you'll see "Paste as Nested Table"
on the Edit menu.

The end-of-row marker is an example of a so-called nonprinting
character. To see them, you can press the ¶ button on the Standard
toolbar. For more information, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/NonPrintChars.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"CAJ" wrote in message
When I cut or copy a table from my Word document and paste it back
in another
location within the document, part of the table becomes nested
inside the
rest. The caption is also enclosed in the 'outer' table.