Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
zebjohnson zebjohnson is offline

Default Opening older version password protected documents with Word

I have serveral old documents created by earlier versions of Word and even
WordPerfect documents that were converted to Word. I don't recall having
problems with conversions in prior updates, but when I installed Office 2003
a couple of years ago, suddenly I cannot open some of these documents. I
receive the error message "cannot convert a passwork protected document". Is
the only solution to reinstall Word '97 which I think was the version I used
prior to the update?