Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Opening older version password protected documents with Word

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/193545,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938810 and
http://news.office-watch.com/t/n.aspx?a=519 .

zebjohnson wrote:
I have serveral old documents created by earlier versions of Word
and even WordPerfect documents that were converted to Word. I don't
recall having problems with conversions in prior updates, but when I
installed Office 2003 a couple of years ago, suddenly I cannot open
some of these documents. I receive the error message "cannot convert
a passwork protected document". Is the only solution to reinstall
Word '97 which I think was the version I used prior to the update?