Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Scott

Default Header with picture or text box

Sorry. I'm still having a problem with this after numerous tries. I think
what is happening is that somehow I am anchoring the picture in the header,
but not placing it entirely within the header. I can duplicate the situation
with a simple new word 2002 file using a small jpeg picture. When I enter
"header/footer" and then (from within the header), with cursor at left,
insert the pic... it fills up the header and the cursor moves to the line
below, but still within the header (now large) area. This format remains the
same on subsequent pages. However, when I click on the picture and format it
to a square wrapping style, the text I originally had below the pic is now
moved to the top and appears behind the picture, and the actual header area
is reduced to that required by the text. The pic remains the same size, but
now is anchored and extends into the rest of the document. I would have
expected that the text at the bottom would wrap around the picture (which
only extends a 1/3 of the way across) and the whole pic would have remained
in the header area not simply anchored. ....When I leave the header area,
and type text within the main document, the text wraps appropriately (square
wrapping style) around the pic. Should I reload my word - or am I just
completely doing something wrong??

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If by "beneath the pics" you mean behind them, then make sure you don't have
the wrapping on the graphic and text box set to "In Front of Text." It must
be Square or Tight.

"Scott" wrote in message
Thanks for the help. Sorry for posting in two forums initially. I'll try
and summarize what's happening more clearly. Essentially what I have in my
header is text to the left (that i modify in different documents), then a
company logo (fixed towards right), and a text box (extending down the

right
side anchored to header) on extreme right. When I type in the header my

text
runs beneath these objects. It appears that when I insert a pic or text

box,
it gets anchored to the header and shows up on every page. However, when

type in the header area, the text goes beneath the pics and is not visible
despite setting text wrapping. However, when I delete the text in the
header, the header length decreases but the pics remain the same size
although now half outside the header. When I type in the regular

document,
the text wrapping works fine. Is there anyway to lock a pic into the

header
with text wrapping, ie so that you couldn't decrease the overall size of

the
header without deleting the pic? The only way I can get around this is to
insert the pic and text box, and then type the text needed, and use
"paragraph settings" to reset the margins to exclude the pic and text box
areas. I'm using word 2002 XP - i note that Word 2003 seems to reference

"custom header" function for this problem, but I don't think I have that.
Thank you.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Don't use a text box for your text (or your picture). Insert the text

first.
Then insert the picture (which will be anchored to the text paragraph

you
just created), and set the wrapping to Square or Tight. Using the

Layout controls, set the picture position as Right Relative to Margin.

If you just want text on the left and a picture on the right (you're not
actually wrapping the text *around* the picture), you can put them in a
borderless two-cell table, but be aware that there will be an empty text
paragraph below the table. You can format it as 1 point or Hidden, but

that
can sometimes cause problems when you go back to edit the header and

forget
that the paragraph is there.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Scott" wrote in message
I'm working on a header, and have inserted a text box and pixture

(even
tried
it with just a picture) on the right hand side of the header. I have
formatted it so that text is wrapped around it, but when I type in the
header
the text runs beneath the picture and doesn't wrap. Can you do this

in a
header? Any suggestions?