Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Default Body Text vs Normal

Hi Adrian

Adrian wrote:
Regarding having to reformat docs that have text boxes, let's assume that,
like you say, the author chose to use Normal for such text boxes.

Now, if my template body text is "Body Text" and I don't want Normal in my
documents, I'm going to have to reformat these text boxes anyway, right?

My (admittedly not very strong) reasoning in this case is: I don't
really care whether such a textbox contains Normal if I use Bodytext
(and build up many styles upon bt), so if the formatting and/or
positioning of those boxes is not plain _ugly_, I will not want to
reformat it.

I can still change my bt style and this ripples through the document,
and if I get really lucky, I don't have to touch the textboxes. But if
normal is used for bt also, then the textboxes will most probably reflow
differently.

And, you are right, when you set up a template and do not want to use
Normal, then you have to touch a lot of styles and break the connection
to Normal (set it to "none" with a few styles, to bt in some, maybe to a
heading style for that hierarchy -- though I've seen this discouraged
before, probably of fear of spreading numbering dependencies that way).
But this makes sure you have really looked into all styles you intend to

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS