Stefan Blom

You can enable different odd and even pages (on the Layout tab of
FilePage Setup) which allows you to keep separate contents in
odd and even footers. Then you can easily insert "Page X of Y"
via the AutoText entries accessible in the Header/Footer toolbar.
And you can specify the alignment by using either tab stops
(there are three predefined tab stops in the Footer paragraph
style) or by using paragraph alignment.

--
Stefan Blom

"Eric G" wrote in message

Hello

Windows XPP SP2
Office 2003 SP1

When printing in duplex, I would like to use page numbering in
the footer, on the "outside" margin containing both the page
number and the total number of pages, e.g. in the format 1 (12),
or similar.

In Word, it's easy to use the command, Insert - Page Numbers -
Position: Bottom of page, Alignment: Outside. But, this command
only enters the page number, not the number of pages, and as far
as I can see, there is no option for this either.

As Word inserts the page number in a frame, I've used this
Insert - Page Numbers command, then through View - Headers and
Footers, positioned my cursor in the frame and added the Insert
Number of Pages into same, and, in my case, the two brackets,
thereby getting an acceptable result.

I can, of course, go straight into Headers and Footers, enter the
Page Number and Number of Pages command, but how do I get these
positioned at the outside margin? Is there a function for this,
that I've missed?

There must be some easier way of doing this than my primitive way
of doing this, as described above?

Grateful for any suggestions.

Eric G
Stockholm, Sweden