garfield-n-odie

Default How do I get the filename to auto-update in the header?

See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=832897 "The FILENAME field
does not automatically update when you open a document in Word
2002 or Word 2003".

As for why the Insert AutoText option is grayed out in the Header
and Footer toolbar, this is usually caused by overwriting the
Normal.dot global template with a regular Word document. Try
renaming Normal.dot as described in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm .

Ian M. Walker wrote:

I can put the filename into headers via the "insert" and "field" menus but
these do not auto-update. The help suggests using the options on the header
and footer menu for auto-updates but for some reason filename is not an
option for me in Word 2003. I'm convinced that I used to use that in my
footers all the time so I don't know why it would be missing in this latest
version. Also, the first menu in headers and footers "Insert auto-text" is
greyed out.

Can anybody help me with the auto-updating of filenames in my header and
also explain why this is missing from the headers and footers menu?

Thank you.

Office 2003 with Windows XP SP2