Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
IT/Marketing Consultant @ Pharmacist_CA IT/Marketing Consultant @ Pharmacist_CA is offline

Default IF THEN Statements for Mail Merge in Word 2007

Great Solution.

However, I think it is time for Microsoft to add this type of functionality
to their Rules as a lot of non-technical users are frustrated by this and
larger companies need to do these types of If Then statements frequently.

I'm hoping they make this easier for the end user by including it, as part
of the rules as I know the past companies I worked for I had very frustrated
end users who just couldn't grasp the CTR9 solution you suggested. They have
1/2 of the formula already written so hopefully they will enhance their rule
capabilities in the next release or SP to include more functionality of their
mail merge rules.

Thanks again for the solution!!
--
IT/Marketing Consultant
Pharmacist-CA

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

"IT/Marketing Consultant @ Pharmacist_CA" wrote:

I'm trying to do a mailing where I need to use an IF THEN ELSE statement.
I'm importing data from an Excel spreadsheet. Currently (please correct me
if I am wrong), it does not appear that I can do the following statement in
Word 2007. I have two fields 'Goes By' and 'First Name'. What I want to do
is create a statement that reads:

IF Goes By is blank THEN First Name

Try:

{IF {MERGEFIELD GoesBy} = "" {MERGEFIELD First_Name} {MERGEFIELD GoesBy}}

Where all {} pairs are inserted via CTRL-F9.