Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
charles charles is offline

Default showing chapter numbers with page number when scrolling

Thanks, but I must not be making myself clear. My Word displays the page
number in a box to the right when I scroll through a document. In some
documents it also displays, in the same box, the chapter number--sometimes.

I've tried formatting the chapter headings in various ways, and I think
that's the key, because sometimes that seems to do the trick, at least
temporarily. But I haven't figured out how to control it. Word isn't so
capricious that it will do things like this at random, I assume. So I must
not know the correct way to get this to happen. That's the information I'm
looking for.

thanks,
- charles

"Stefan Blom" wrote in
:

You can't customize the way Word displays information when scrolling
through a document, I'm afraid.

On the other hand, if you are trying to add chapter numbers with page
numbers (so that this setup prints and displays in headers, or
footers, and in the TOC), see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/chapternumber.htm.