Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
StrugglingChemist StrugglingChemist is offline

Default Typing chemical formulae in 'word'

What are the new commands to toggle on/off superscripts? subscripts? I cannot
for the life of me figure out how it is working. In previous versions, cntl+=
toggled subscripts on/off. It no longer works (in Word or Powerpoint). As a
chemist this is extremely frustrating, because super- and sub-scripting is a
way of life for us. Perhaps I will switch back to a previous version or to
another word processor. Any program that gets my work done faster is best for
me. I am not happy if I have to download something to work around something
that worked in previous versions. I am sorry if this message seems scathing,
but had I known of this issue, I would not have updated.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The 2 in H20 should be subscripted. The keyboard shortcut for the subscript
format is Ctrl+=. You can either press this before typing the 2 and again
afterward, or type the 2, select it, and press the keyboard shortcut. The
keyboard shortcut for superscript (used for exponents) is Ctrl+Shift+=.

"ellie" wrote in message
How do I type simple chemical formulae, ie H2O - water, so that the 2 is

in a
smaller font and below the preceeding letter?