Bystander

Default How can I stop automatic capitalisation after ? or ! in Word?

I find Word's automatic capitalisation of the next letter after ? or ! to be
something of a nuisance when they are not at the end of a sentence. (I write
fiction, and therefore quite often describe my characters' thoughts, which
may end with a question mark or exclamation mark, but that won't be the end
of the sentence. E.g. I wonder where that came from? thought John. However,
the 'exceptions' list will not accept either mark. I would prefer to keep
automatic capitalisation on, as occasionally I forget to use the shift key