Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Rhiannon Rhiannon is offline

Default Can I compare more than two merge field values using =AND or =

Thanks Doug.That may, unfortunately, be where I'm at. I'm hoping there's an
alternative because I'm already close to the max number of columns in the
data source, and I need to compare the mergefields in multiple, unique
combinations, which is why I'm hoping to do it in the word doc itself.

Thanks again!

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

I would suggest that you do the comparing in the data source, moving the
data to Excel of Access to do so if necessary. Both of those programs are
better at manipulating data than Word.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Rhiannon" wrote in message
I'm working in Word 2007. I have a list of mergefields (anywhere between 3
and 7 depending) that I would like to test the values of - if all of them
come back true, return one block of text, else return another block of
text.
It works fine when I try and compare the values of two mergefields:

{IF { = AND ( { COMPARE {Mergefield 1} = "Y"}, {COMPARE {mergefield 2}
2
} ) } = 1 "true" "false" }

but as soon as I try and compare the values of three or more mergefields:

{IF { = AND ( { COMPARE {Mergefield 1} = "Y"}, {COMPARE {mergefield 2}
2
}, { COMPARE {mergefield 3" = "text" } ) } = 1 "true" "false" }

it breaks. Is there a way to expand beyond two comparisons, using either
the
=AND or the =OR formulas? I'd rather not start nesting piles of these if I
can help it. Thanks muchly!!