Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Liontamer Liontamer is offline

Default Unexpected alignment when using styles for headings 1, 1.1, 1.

Stefan, just an update on my progress: Once again, I visited Shauna's site
on numbering... For the most part, I've gotten a better understanding of how
things work from this site. I'm at a 70% level of understanding, right now.
I also visited the newgroup page. Wow...I can certainly see from the one or
two posts I've looked at that I'm not alone. One guy said: "I'll buy it" a
dummies book, if it were available. Thank goodness I'm not alone. To all
those of you out there who are reading this post: Join me in thanking these
MVP's for helping all of us to understand this stuff.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

"Liontamer" wrote in message
Stefan, I just wrote an email to Mary Milhollon [ Author (1 of 3) to: MS
Office Word 2007 Inside Out ] advising her of our discussion and relating
my
ideas to help her and her associates improve an all ready outstanding
publication. It's my little contribution to everyone. And, hopefully, it
will help them in updated revisions of their publication.

Also, I did just make an attempt to Remove Frame as you stated in your
post.
It seems to have worked. And I have typed out a couple of more paragraphs
in my document, just to test what happens. And it seems that the lion is
somewhat satiated for now. However, there's still a lack of an
understanding
to how this situation came to be in the first place? I want to understand
more about this just in case it happens again. Cause if it does, then
I'll
just have to make a steak medium rare for my lion. And you know how I
love
lions. Gotta keep 'em happy.

Well, it's difficult to tell how it happened. Some settings can be
automatically included with a style if you select the "Automatically update"
option in the Modify Style dialog box, but I doubt that frame formatting
belongs to that category. Updating a style to match the selection with the
insertion point inside a frame is a more likely cause.

So, I'll await further information regarding this situation.

Oh yes, I've got another issue: How come it's so hard to control where
the
text starts on the line for Heading Style 1.1? I mean, the section number
appears like: 6.4 But the text starts about an inch or
so
in from the section number.

By default, Word inserts a tab character after the number and, depending on
the width of the number, this might push the text to the next default tab
stop, which might be less desirable.

To fix the problem, you will have to adjust the settings for indentation at
the affected numbering level: Place the insertion point in the first
top-level paragraph of the list (in a list of headings, this means in the
first Heading 1 paragraph of the document). Then click Home tab | Multilevel
List | Define New Multilevel List. In the dialog box, click "Level 2." Click
the More button to see all options. Change the "Position" settings as
appropriate. In particular, you may want to pay attention to the "Add tab
stop at" option. For more, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Kind of like the line above this one.
So, what's causing this? How can I modify the text line to start closer
the section number in the built in Heading Style 1.1? This is so
confusing.
Believe me, I've tried stuff. But my lion won't listen. Doesn't jump
through the big hoop. What to do? I donno! I fed the lion a good
dinner,
and he just looks at me with those big lion eyes and roars! Gosh, it's
scarey sometimes. I know my lion luvs me. He's just giving me a hard
time.

It's been a long day for me. Be well everybody. I've got to rest now.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Another possibility is that you have inadvertently saved frame formatting
your Heading 2 style.

To remove such formatting: In the Styles pane (Ctrl+Shift+Alt+S),
right-click the Heading 2 entry and choose Modify from the context menu.
In
the Modify Style dialog box, click the Format button, and then click
Frame.
Click Remove Frame, and then click OK to close the Modify Style dialog
box
again.

~~~
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
Since you are seeing an anchor, could you be typing in a text box?

~~~
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Liontamer" wrote in message
Hello All
My OS = Windows XP Professional Media Center Ed, SP2
Question = MS Word 2007
What I am experiencing: I am trying to use the styles for lists. The
headings I'm using are 1, then 1.1, then 1.1.1, then sometimes 1.1.1.1
Okay,
now I've started creating my document, and it was going quite well for
couple of pages. (Yippie!) But then the mean ol "gremlin" came out.
Here's
what happened. When I hit the enter button at the end of a Heading
1.1.1
paragraph, the cursor ends the paragraph and goes to the next line.
(This
is
not the problem yet.) Now, I press the Heading 2 Style for 1.1 and I
get
my
next section of my document (in my current document it's 6.3).
However,
the
6.3 is surrounded by a box. So, I proceed to type the line for that
section
6.3. It types out correctly. Then I hit enter. And the cursor does
something unexpected. It raises up slightly above the line in a
"superscript
position" just slightly above the line itself. (I am now confused.)
Because
what should have happened is the cursor needed to go to the next line
below
where I just got done typing. (Now wait the problem gets better!)

(Okay, me being me, I try endlessly to tame the Lion. I try to make a
nice
juicy steak. No luck.) But in actuality here's what I did next. I
hit
the
enter key again. And the cursor drops down one line, but it stays at
the
same location. In other words, it's still at the end of the line just
above.
(utt-o Did I do something wrong? I don't think so.) (So, I continue
my
quest to tame this beast.)

I right click the line just above (that's my 6.3 line) and I click the
paragraph symbol to see the paragraph marks. I'm hoping to get some
clues
as
to what's going on in my document. (I wanna tame that beast!) And
now I
encounter a symbol looking like an anchor. The anchor symbol hangs to
the
right of the box surrounding the line 6.3, just off the paragraph
symbol
too.
(Why this is so, I don't know.)

So, I do some comparisons between my lines 6.2 and 6.3. And what do I
discover? The little anchor symbol is in different spots on both my
lines.
(Ah Ha!)

On line 6.2, the anchor symbol is just left and below the line number
6.2
itself. It actually appears below the box surrounding line 6.2 and at
the
same level as line 6.2.1. (That's not where the anchor is for my line
6.3)
So, this must be why I'm having this problem. I just don't know what
do
about it.

I've currently read some of Shauna Kelly's (MVP) pages for Word 2002
and
2003, but that's not up to date for 2007. However, her pages have
most
definitely helped me understand and clarify some basic stuff about
Word.
She's really terrific. Visit her site for some background on prior
verisions
of Word.

Well, I know my problem has something to do with where this anchor
symbol
appears on my line 6.3. It may have something to do with formating. I
just
haven't learnt enough yet about how this all works yet. (So much to
read.
My head hurts.)

So, if any of you people understand this and can help then I'd really
appreciate it. There's just got to be a way to control what's
happening
here
in my document. And I'd like to know how it got that way too. I just
don't
understand it. I was doing the same thing I did in prior parts of my
document.

Have a nice day to all of you.