Stefan Blom

Have you tried to select the entire document and then press F9 to
update fields (including cross-references)?

Note that Word cross-references make use of hidden bookmarks, which
are inserted into the referenced paragraphs. An error message would
imply that something has happened to such a bookmark.

A possible source of trouble is that when you press ENTER at the
beginning of a bookmarked paragraph the bookmark grows to also include
the contents of that newly created paragraph. To prevent this from
happening, you should always press ENTER at the end of the previous
paragraph when inserting things before bookmarked paragraphs.

However, the effect of an "enlarged" bookmark is usually that extra
stuff is included in the cross-reference (even page breaks or section
breaks!), not that the cross-reference is broken. It might be worth
investigating this possibility, though.

--
Stefan Blom

"Peter Harrington" wrote in message
I have a long document with figures at the end of a document. I

created
figure captions and used cross-references to refer to them in the

text.

The problem is that the first figure needs to be printed in

landscape. I
set page setup to print this page in landscape, and a section break

was
created, but now all my figure references have been lost and

replaced with
Error: reference can not be found.

1. Have these references been lost for good?
2. Can I alter the section break so that the references after it

are
visible?
I would like to have one document with one page printed in

landscape and
retain the figure references?
3. Is there a better approach to having a landscape figure? Can I

rotate
the figure?

Thanks,

Pete