Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aeneas Aeneas is offline

Default Figures and captions

Try cutting each picture and the caption pair together and pasting them where
you want them (you might want to insert an empty paragraph by pressing ENTER
at the destination location and then delete it after pasting). When done
cutting and pasting all the pairs, press CTRL+A (select all), press F9 (this
may take a while in a very large document), select the Update entire table
radio button in the Update Table of Figures dialog box and click OK. The SEQ
fields in the figures, the cross-references and the table of figures should
all be updated correctly.

"thermoregulator" wrote:

Word 2007: I am working with a document that has hundreds of 'inserted
pictures' each with an 'inserted caption'. Each caption is cross-referenced
within the text. I would like to move both the 'picture and caption' as a
group to a new location while maintaining the ability to update the 'Table of
Figures' - in other words maintain sequential numbering of figures and in
turn update the cross-reference number within the text. Grouping the
'picture and caption' as a frame fixes the figure number preventing the
ability to update the figure number when the sequence has changed.