My reply was addressed to Teeder's suggestion of inserting a section break,
which is impractical. It is much more sensible to use a conditional field,
as originally suggested, to put the FILENAME in the footer for the last page
only. This has no bearing whatsoever on whether the filename updates (it
won't update any more or less if it's in a separate section). All fields in
the header and footer are updated on printing (regardless of the Print
Options setting), but filename fields are not updated on saving or even
(after recent SPs) on reopening, so a macro is required to force them to
update.

"Nikkit72" wrote in message
Thanks for your reply, unfortunately what Teeder suggested is what we do

at
the moment but human error takes over and some people dont update the

fields
which causes all kinds of problems. We used to use Wordperfect which auto
updated the path and filename and I think that some people still forget

that
Word doesnt auto update unless its a field code.

Nikki

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It is rarely convenient to have a section break interrupting the

continuous
text flow between pages.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Teeder" wrote in message
I don't understand why you wouldn't just insert a NEXT PAGE section

break
on
the second last page, and then insert a FILENAME with PATH field in

footer
of
the second section of the document (being sure to remove the SAME AS
PREVIOUS) button. Then if you want the field to update without

closing
out
of the document you could go to the FOOTER and right click on the

field
and
ask it to UPDATE FIELD.

"Nikkit72" wrote:

On a document I know if you put the filename in as a field code in

the
footer
it will auto update on saving or printing.

How do I put in a field code on just one page (ie the last page of a
document) and still get the filename to auto update?

Thanks in advance