Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Default Problem with mail merge with foreign right-to-left language

The problem is that none of the "connection methods" available for getting
Excel data in Word 2000 (DDE, ODBC, and the Excel Converter) will preserve
the Hebrew characters.

The simplest workaround is probably
a. open your Excel sheet
b. select the data
c. Edit|Copy
d. open a blank Word document
e. Edit|Paste

This can only work if you have around 63 columns or less in your
spreadsheet - otherwise, you will need to remove some columns before
copying.

Use the Word document as your data source. I can't re-test that on Word 2000
right now. It certainly works on Word 2003, with correct preservation of the
right-to-left sequence.

Peter Jamieson

"wcsdropout" wrote in message
I have Windows XP with Microsoft Office 2000 Professional. I installed
Hebrew language support and am using a Yiddish keyboard layout. I have an
Excel
spreadsheet with vocabulary words -- 1 column English and 1 Yiddish, and
am
trying to print out the Yiddish Words to Microsoft Word "labels" using
Mail
Merge. However, whenever I try to merge them, I get "????" in all the
fields. I have tried changing all my column headers to English language,
but
that doesn't help.

Has anyone dealt with this problem before?