Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

Default Doc management, workflow or job tracking?

There are 'Document Management' applications around that do exactly what you
describe. It's surprisingly hard to do well, particularly if the documents
have legal or commercial significance, and the robust applications are
commensurately expensive.

There are web-based document- or information-management systems (eg
SharePoint) that do much the same thing. Their focus is on the delivery of
the documents rather than their storage; but essentially the same outcome.

Workflow and job-tracking are business systems that entail document
archiving, but that's not their primary objective.

"Bob" wrote in message
I want to keep track of files that go with a job. I get a job in and
there are lots of files that flow in over time and change or are
replaced: quality control files, CAD files, spreadsheets, P.O.s, etc. I
want to be able to find these files by: job-num, date, part-num,
invoice-num, etc...

Is this document management?
Workflow?
Job tracking?

Workflow seems wrong: it's all about publishing (google "workflow", see
what I mean). Document Management seems wrong: it's all about scanning
and archiving. Job tracking seems wrong: it's about time and billing.
So, what is it? That's my first step.

I also want all this on a server/networked so others have access to it,
not just me.

I could just make a folder structure on our file server, and have a
folder for each job. I could name the folders with their job number.
That's close, but that doesn't allow me to find a specific job folder
quickly or easily by anything other than the job number.

Thanks for any ideas.