Posted to microsoft.public.word.setup.networking,microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Fred Goodwin, CMA Fred Goodwin, CMA is offline

Default WORD "forgets" default network printer

Well, maybe "forget" is the wrong term to describe what is happening.

I am using MS WORD 2003 SP3, on an HP-Compaq 5100 running Windows XP
SP2. I've set my default printer in Windows to be a networked HP
LaserJet 4050 PCL 6.

All of my Office apps remember the default printer, but whenever I
load WORD, it hangs saying the printer isn't responding, do I want to
wait? I click "No", then I go into the print menu and reset the blank
printer line to the default printer.

What is causing this behavior? Is there something in my Office or
Windows setup that is incorrect?

I clicked through several WORD menus and cannot find an option to set
the default printer, other than in the Print menu, where I tell it
which printer to use. But the next time I load WORD, I get the same
error.

None of my other applications (Office or otherwise) gets such an error
(waiting on the default printer).