Jim Byrd

Hi Chad - From my Blog, addy in Sig, below. (I suspect you'd want to use
Delete Invalid File for this particular situation):

"Sometimes the tools below will find files which they are unable to delete
because they are in use.

A program called Copylock, here, http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=misc can
aid in the process of "replacing, moving, renaming or deleting one or many
files which are currently in use (e.g. system files like comctl32.dll, or
virus/trojan files.)"

Another is Killbox, he http://www.downloads.subratam.org/KillBox.zip

A third which is a bit different but often very useful is Delete Invalid
File, he http://www.purgeie.com/delinv.htm which handles invalid/UNC
file/folder name deleting, rather than the in use problem.

A fourth useful program is Unlocker, he
..http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/ " Simply right click the folder or file
and select Unlocker. If the folder or file is locked, a window listing of
lockers will appear. Simply select the lockers and click Unlock and you are
done!" Works as advertised and is particularly helpful in identifying
malware components which are 'protecting' each other."

--
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
My Blog, Defending Your Machine, he

"Chad Harris" wrote in message

I did not post this in 3 places to be rude or waste time; I posted to
get the best answer to a puzzling problem from the sources I ID as
the best groups; and if someone is perhaps not happy then in a
friendly pleasant way please "bring it" 'cause I can take cyberheat
in an effort to learn.

I'm on an XPSP2 box but it's not my problem but it got bandied about
on one of the MSFT chat formats and without a good answer. I suspect
many of the knowledgable Word regulars or people like David Candy
on the XP groups will be able to knock this out of the park.

The question is how to delete a folder whose extension has three
dots. When the individual tried to delete it, he got the file is in
use box. I suggested the following and the person did not try any
of them fully but finally got it deleted using: Purge IE
http://www.purgeie.com/delinv.htm

I suspect Purge IE could use methods in common with something below
but I'm not sure. It was the only one I know that was tried.

I suggested:
1) Reboot
2) Boot into Safe Mode and Delete it from Windows Explorer which
rightly or wrongly I believed would enhance chances of a Safe Mode
Delete, Does Windows Explorer enhance deletions? It's worked for me
on occassion. 3) I suggested Doug Knox's Delete an Undeletable File
and the individual wouldn't try it because he said it would not work
on a "Win 32 System." I took this term to mean a 32 bit Windows and
did not understand the objection. Someone correct me if I
misconstrued the term please.
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_undeletable_file.htm 4) I
suggested this MSKB:
You cannot delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume

http://support.microsoft.com/Default...1201211201 20
5) Finally could Doug's method and the Purge IE method and the KB be
any of the same methods?

Also I found the reading a little tough and wondered about Part 6 in
the KB.

TIA,

Chad Harris