Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Carrie[_2_] Carrie[_2_] is offline

Default I want to create my own font

"Phi1" wrote in message

as the title explains, i want to make my own font. i have a sister that
enjoys creative writing, and has created a language that she wishes to
write a book in. she has created her language so that each letter of
the alphabet is represented by a symbol.
i would consider myself past the novice stage of computing and IT, so
if this task isn't too complex (the level of complexity is hard to
determine for someone else i know, lol) , i would enjoy the challenge
of creating a new font for her.
i may be incorrect (please don't hesitate to tell me if i'm barking up
the wrong tree), but i think i am going to need a program with which i
can draw each character of the new font (in a format that MS Office
will recognise). my starting problem is which program(s) can i use. i
have photoshop CS2, and all the image editors you get with windows XP
pro, and microsoft office with frontpage.
my second problem would be how to actually install the new font, but
i guess if someone could tell me which program to use to design the
font imaes, that would give me a good start on my project.
thanks in advance,

Phil

I once wanted to make font, and looked into it. I even got a program, I
think it was a sample/trial download.
I looked up instructions and the writing had to be set up a certain way,
size, mathematically? I think it also required a Vector Drawing program,
that I didn't have. Maybe something like Corel Draw? Anyway, at the time it
seemed beyond my understanding, and what I had for programs and I ended up
giving up before even trying.
Just feedback on my looking into it. The language your sister invented
sounds like a form of Wingdings/Webdings, my Word has 4 versions of this,
but I may have downloaded one of them at one point.
I don't know if you'd need a special program for this (Windings) or not.
There are some pretty crazy fonts that are made.
The only way Word would come into it, you would put the finished font in
the FONT folder in your computer (in Windows) and Word would then pick it up
and you could use it.
JoAnn is right, you need to look for font making programs. I don't think
it's anything you can do, even part of (making the font) with Word or any
Office programs. That would just pick up on it and use it AFTER it was done
and in your font folder.