Bob Mathews

On 25-Feb-2005, wrote:

I own an engineering related company and our documents
look unprofessional in that if not all fractions can be
displayed in the basic fraction format, then I use the "full-
size" format (e.g., 3/16).

One of Microsoft's suggestions discusses recipes; another
recommends using Equation Editor (very, very time
consuming, cumersome and does not return characters
consistent with document font).

Glenn, Equation Editor (EE) returns characters in whatever font
you set it up for. With EE active, the menus on Word's menu bar
aren't Word menus any more; they're EE menus. With EE open,
select Style Define, and set up the fonts to match your
document fonts. Keep in mind that these styles must be set to
Symbol font: Symbol, LC Greek, & UC Greek. Similarly, select Size
Define, and set the Full size to match your document's font

size. Set the rest of the sizes in percent values. I recommend
these values: 58%, 45%, 150%, and 100%, respectively, from top to
bottom after full-size. Be sure to include the % symbol. Setting
these values to percent values allows you to change your font
size by changing only the Full size value.

You can also program as many fractions as you want into Word's
AutoCorrect feature. Obviously there is an infinite number of
fractions, and you can't include them all in AC, but I'm sure
there are many that you use most often. On our web site, we have
a tutorial on doing this:
http://www.dessci.com/en/support/tut...t/tutorial.htm.
This tutorial specifically discusses MathType, the professional
version of EE, but much of what the tutorial discusses can be
done with EE.
--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training 830-990-9699