Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.numbering
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

Default Hidden text won't stick

Hi Gary:

Eeeewwww.... This is not going to be easy.

Generically, the paragraph mark stores all of the formatting properties for
the text preceding it up to the previous paragraph mark. This amounts to
several hundred pieces of data that collectively describe all of the
formatting, numbering and layout of the paragraph.

So: The numbering is stored IN the paragraph mark. If it's "hidden" the
operation of the numbering becomes VERY unstable.

So one problem you have is that in order for the numbering to function, the
terminating paragraph mark MUST be "non-hidden". If you want part of that
paragraph's text to be "hidden", you need to apply the hidden property to
the TEXT you want hidden, but not to the final paragraph mark.

The problem you will run into, is that if you hack around in this way long
enough, the paragraph mark itself corrupts. At that point, it may corrupt
the document, preventing Word from opening it. More often, it will simply
turn the paragraph mark "read-only". Once Word can no longer write to the
information store contained in the paragraph mark, you get these paragraphs
you can't fix: nothing seems to work.

The cure there is to create a NEW paragraph AFTER the bad one (so it does
not inherit the properties of the bad para) then copy the text into the new
para.

The approach you are using (partially hidden paragraphs with list numbering
applied) is highly dangerous. I strongly suggest that you find another way
to achieve your aim.

Look up LISTNUM fields in the Help: I think these are a better option of you
need to have bits of hidden text in the paragraph. The other alternative is
to use the built-in "Heading 1" through "Heading 9" styles for numbering
purposes. You can change the formatting to suit yourself, but the Heading
series have special hard-coded properties that makes them FAR more reliable
when they have numbering applied as part of their style definition.

Hope this helps

On 15/2/06 1:26 PM, in article , "Gary
Burton" wrote:

I am using Word 2002 and a later version of word. Both are on
Win XP machines, and both have the same problem. It's important that I find
a solution because it affects a lot of documents.

I am a teacher, working with other teachers; and I am making up
a homework book to be used by several teachers. The homework book has 2
basic styles: 1. "Numbered question" for the questions and, 2. "Lettered
answer" for the answer choices. There is hidden text at the end of both
styles with no carriage return separating the hidden text from the visible
text.

Sometimes the format gets messed up by me or one of the other
teachers, and I want to be able to just click on the appropriate style form
the styles window and fix it. That usually works, but there are some
paragraphs in both of these styles for which I have a common problem. The
problem is that while clicking on the appropriate style does reformat the
numbered question or the lettered answer, it also makes the hidden text
visible. I sometimes make changes to a large number of paragraphs at once,
so I can't even tell which ones are getting visible answers. The students
appreciate that because it shows them the answers, but I don't like it.

The paragraphs that are bad (show the hidden text whenever I
click on the style in the styles window) are consistently bad, and the
paragraphs that are good (fixable without showing hidden text) are
consistently good.

I have looked very hard to find a difference between the good
paragraphs and the bad ones. It seems that there must be a hidden control
character that is in one paragraph and not the other, but the only
difference I can see between good and bad paragraphs is the wording of the
questions and the point within the paragraph at which the answer begins and
the text becomes hidden.

I have compared the fonts at several places within the good and
bad paragraphs and found no settings that were different between the visible
text of one paragraph and the visible text of the other. Likewise, with the
hidden text.

I have used the "Reveal formatting" tool to make comparisons
between good paragraphs and bad paragraphs. The tool could find no
differences.

I have used the format painter to copy the formatting from a
good paragraph to a bad one, copying first the visible text then the hidden
text. That doesn't work either.

I now have many hundreds of pages, and I can't tell which
paragraphs are good and which ones are bad until I try to reformat them.
Then I have to read every question and every answer to find the problem
spots. If I find an answer to the basic problem, there might be something I
can use as a search criterion to find all the bad paragraphs.

Sorry this was so long, but it's a complicated problem. Any
help would be greatly appreciated!!!! This one is baffling me and everyone
I work with.

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410