Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tom Benjey Tom Benjey is offline

Default Index Page ranges

Thank you for your assistance, grammatin and Suzanne.

I have a 160,000 word book I want to index that includes chapters or
sections on 50+ people. These people's names are the index entries most
likely to include sequential page references. Other index entriy types don't
exhibit this problem. I previously indexed a 60,000 word book using a
concordance and was pleased with the results. Manually marking each index
entry looks like it would be laborious to the extreme.

Is it possible to edit the index Word creates to affect the change?

FrameMaker can be downloaded for a 30-day free trial. Does it require all
this manual entry or can it use a concordance?

Tom

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In order to include a range, you must select the included text and bookmark
it, then include the bookmark in the XE field (in the Mark Index Entry
dialog, there is a place to select the bookmark).

"Tom Benjey" wrote in message
When I create an index for a Word 2007 document, I get entries like:

Washington, George 1,2,3,7,11

but I want:

Washington, George 1-3,7,11

What must I do to get page ranges instead of each individual page number
when the item is found on 3 or more successive pages?

Thanks,

Tom