Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dermot Dermot is offline

Default Folder Shortcuts / Word 2003 / Mail merge Fields / Odd Issue A

Hi Summer
Thabnks for the reply.
Right clicking on the shortcuts does show the same path on all computers.
Can you explain to me what Peter meant by Word File|Properties|General.

I realise that this has not been setup properly......The templates would be
better setup via Word to appear in the General Tab of the template dialog.
The reason I call them tamplates is because in this situation they have been
saved in a folders with dot extensions.
I was only referring to manually browsing to them to explain that when also
accessed directly (not through the shorcuts) on this one computer these field
are present.
If you have any further suggestions, they would be appreciated.
Thanks for the information on Text Formfields.......I will need to check
this out...although I am almost certain they are merge fields.
Many thanks

"Summer" wrote:

Right click on the desktop shortcut and select "Properties" it will show you
the location?

Of interest, do tell why you call it a template when it does not have an
automatic date, address salutation field
holders? What does it have that you consider makes it a template?

They are not necessarily {merge fields} they could be text formfields -
press CTRL Home then F11 - when your cursor lands on the field start
typing - do you just see text on the screen? They are formfield text
indicators and you move to them pressing F11 as it is easier than locating
the next part of the document that requires variable information to be typed
in.

Anyway, why haven't you set group policy for template paths "WorkGroup
Templates" at login/logoff - why would you need to manually browse or use a
desktop shortcut instead of just File New?

Hope this helps.

"Dermot" wrote in message
Thanks Peter for the reply
can you advise me a little further?

I am assuming they are mergefields......how whould I identify the type of
field?

I opened one of the documents in the "Letters" folder.....but I don't
understand where you mean I should look within the document by
saying...Word
File | Properties | General.

If we all browse to the same folder and access the same documents....why
should there be any difference on this one computer? Can you give me a few
things to try based on assumptions you might try to determine the problem?

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

1. Do they definitely open without the merge fields, or do they open
without
any merge fields showing? (Alt-F9 to see them, although in the case of
Merge
fields you would normally see /something/.

2. What template are the merge fields attached to?

3. Does the "odd one out" computer have any macros in normal.dot, the
template the document is attached to (or are there any in the document?

4. Are there any INCLUDETEXT fields in the document?

The path of the "Letters" folder has been confirmed to be the same on
all
computers via the shortcut properties and the "Letter" folder
properties?

Just to be absolutely sure I would open the document and have a look at
the
path name in Word File|Properties|General.

Peter Jamieson

"Dermot" wrote in message
A Network Shared Folder named "Letters" containing Word Documents.

Each computer on the network has a desktop shortcut to the "Letters
Folder"

Problem
On one computer when the documents in the "Letters" folder are accessed
by
the shortcut or by browsing to the "Letters" folder......when opened
there
are merge fields for date and address and salutation inserted.
All the other computers open without these merge fields.

Question
The merge fields are not wanted.
The path of the "Letters" folder has been confirmed to be the same on
all
computers via the shortcut properties and the "Letter" folder
properties?

Can anyone tell me why the documents would be opening with merge
fields,
when everyone is accessing the same folder and documents.....
What a am I overlooking here?