Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default how can i unlock a new document so I may type?

The issue for which Herb suggested that is probably not applicable in your
case, but to get to the equivalent of the Tools, button, you will need to
click on the Office button and then on Word Options and then on Popular
(which by default will be activated anyway) and check the box for Show
Developer tab in the Ribbon. (That only has to be done once, unless you
turn it off again)

Then when you exit the dialog by clicking OK, a Developer tab will have been
added to the Ribbon and if you click on it, you will see a Protect Document
item, which is the equivalent of the Tools item to which Herb made
reference.

I doubt however that is the issue. Possibly, the trial version has expired.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Sandra" wrote in message
I just bought this computer and activated word trial offer and it worked
fine
but then my son installed the new printer and now when I try to type it's
locked. I don't have a "tools" button. Anyone know what I can do to
unlock
it?

--
Sandra

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

Somehow, you've turned protection on. Choose Tools - Unprotect Document.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"fastroad" wrote in message

"Michelle05" wrote:

I am able to open a new document, but when it is opened, there is a
message
in the message bar that reads: "This modification is not allowed
because
the
document is locked". I do not know how to unlock this new document, I
have
looked at other questions, they are similar but not the same problem.
Any
Help?