Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Albert Einstein Albert Einstein is offline

Default Another great example of how Word 2007 "brings commands closerto the surface"

Larry wrote:

Beth,

You've opened my eyes. Now I understand the logic behind Microsoft's
destruction of Word. By the same logic by which the menus were eliminated,
since the "majority" of users don't create custom toolbars and custom menus,
MS just did away with them as well. Or at least made it much harder to
create and install them--I haven't figured this all out yet. In any case,
the former beautiful feature by which you opened the Customize dialog box
and could effortllessly create a new toolbar and give it a name put on it
what you wanted seems to be gone.

Hey, folks, the "majority" of users also never create a macro, never edit a
macro, and never assign a custom keystroke to a macro or to a built-in
command. So, by MS's logic of only keeping features that "most" users use,
how come MS didn't eliminate VBA, eliminate macro recording, eliminate
macros, eliminate the Macro dialog box, eliminate the VBA editing interface,
and eliminate the Customize Keyboard dialog box???

The great thing about Word was that it had thousands of capabilities, and
each user, depending on his interests, might only deal with a small part of
them. So each person could in effect have his own "Word." But now we've
moved away from such diversity toward a single uniformity. A single
"majority rule" determines what will be in Word. Only what the 90 percent
of users who are mediocre users will determine what is in Word. Everything
that a more skilled and creative or just idiosyncratic user of Word might
want to access is to be eliminated. That appears to be the logic.

The only thing that saves the situation from total disaster is that MS has
not yet been completely consistent in its program of destruction, so it has
still left some "non-popular" features in place.

Now that Microsoft has abandoned you, WordPerfect welcomes you with open
arms.

You can customize WordPerfect to the point that not even Corel itself
would recognize it!