Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tony Jollans

Default Word 2000: little black square, cursor disappears, block stops, rogue linefeeds...

I'll try for #2

There are various situations where the cursor ends up in text that is not
visible on the screen - usually to do with text being in a container (table
cell, textbox, etc.) that is somehow constrained so that the text doesn't
all fit. In a similar vein a table which extends beyond the page margin can
have the same effect. Other possibilities are floating objects in the
'drawing layer' hiding things underneath them into which you may stray and,
perhaps less likely, formfields set as hidden text.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

wrote in message ...
Thank you so much Suzanne. It seems most technical newsgroups have at

least one
person who takes time to expertly guide, and you are the one (or one of

them)
here!

Those references came up straight away on my old netscape (which I much

prefer)
and they are very clear and well-written.

I've now solved the little black square. I'll try the delete problem, but

at
this stage would say that if I select I usually can delete; the problem is
pressing delete and trying to delete from the cursor without the select.
Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Thanks too for the reassurance about long documents.

Now, over to the others for the the remaining problems!

Aalaan

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

Hmm. For (1), see

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm.
For (4), possibly

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...DeleteText.htm
would be helpful.

As for (6), one of my larger documents is 200,000 words--no problem at

all.
Another is 60,000 with hundreds of linked graphics, hundreds of tables,

and
thousands of index entries. The only built-in limit for Word document

size
is the 32 MB limit on text only (not counting graphics). The practical
limits depend on your computer; in this case, amount of RAM is more
important than either processor speed or HD size.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

wrote in message

Hi all you experts!

I'm using Word 2000 with no updates. I have a handful of very
irritating problems and would be gald of your expert answers.

1 What are the little black squares in several places in (someone
else's) documents? I can't reach them with the cursor. How can I get
rid of them?

2 Every now and then the cursor disappears completely and I'm

flying
blind. OK in other places in the document. What's happening?

3 Sometimes when I block large chunks of text the block reaches a
stop and I have to deal with that and then select a new block.

4 Sometimes the delete key will not delete and I have to block mark
and then delete.

5 Sometimes random linefeeds seem to occur and break up continuous
text.

6 I need to work with 50,000-word and up documents. Is thi size a
particular danger?

Your replies to any of these will save my sanity! Thanks

aalaan