Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Word 2000: little black square, cursor disappears, block stops, rogue linefeeds...

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

Wrt (3), how are you selecting the text? With the mouse or keyboard? I'm
wondering if the selection stops (or at least hesitates) at a section break,
wrapped graphic, or the like.

Keyboard, using shift and downarrow

Wrt (5), do the "random linefeeds" occur in pasted text? (If so, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/CleanWebText.htm). And are they really
manual line breaks (with nonprinting characters displayed, you'll see a bent
arrow)? Or are they just places where a line breaks sooner than expected. Or
by "linefeeds" do you mean extra, unexpected spaces between lines of text
(such as might be caused by Space Before/After)?

They are bent arrows (hard line break?). As far as I know not in pasted text
(unless the author has done this to the original file)

I also have a problem where sometimes a line gets indented and I can't remove
the indent without retyping the last word on the previous line and the first
word on this line.I think with all these problems there is a chance that the
original author played with various settings of styles (I am editing someone
elses document)..

3 Sometimes when I block large chunks of text the block reaches a
stop and I have to deal with that and then select a new block.

4 Sometimes the delete key will not delete and I have to block mark
and then delete.

5 Sometimes random linefeeds seem to occur and break up continuous
text.