Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Charles Kenyon

Default Word 2000: little black square, cursor disappears, block stops, rogue linefeeds...

3. Back up on floppies from Windows? Yes. Not from Word.

5. Page 181 of 181...

There is a bug in Word that is different in different versions (including
different SRs).
See http://www.addbalance.com/word/pagexofy.htm or
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/PageXofY.htm for information on Page
X of Y problems. You may also want to take a look at:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Number...eNumbering.htm. If it applies
you may also want to look at
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Numbering/PageNumber0.htm.

6. Reinstall to get new normal.dot. Not only overkill but it won't work. See
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErr...ocNotBlank.htm.
--
Charles Kenyon

This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies and questions to
the newsgroup so that others can learn from my ignorance and your wisdom.

wrote in message ...
Thanks Suzanne for all your good help. I may have posted some of this
before
and if so I apologise. This is a summary of where I am:

1 I have been able to remove the "keep together" square blocks in the
left
margin.

2 I have established that my large document was indeed corrupt because
trying
to put in headers showed things like 'section 1, section 2...' etc. and I
knew I
only had one section! Sure enough there was a rogue section break, which
deleted.

3 I do back up to floppies (or did!) so possibly that's the reason I got
corrupt stuff beginning to happen. I now intend to copy whole files to
floppies
under Explorer. Is that OK?

4 I have noticed bits of text disappearing randomly. But they are
apparently
on the display only and don't permanently alter the file. Please confirm.

5 I continue to have problems with headers, eg the PAGENUM functiuon
increments
so I get page 1 or 1, 181 of 181, etc.

6 What I am thinking of doing is a complete re-install of Word (2000)
from the
CD. Will this give me a clean normal.dot or is there a better way? I
will
check the 'prompt me before updating normal.dot' which I understand is a
recommended procedure.

If you able to reply directly on this rarther than links to MVP site it
would be
good, unless of course the answers are lengthy. We are getting to a point
where
I may have to ask you to name a charity of your choice that I can
contribute to
in recognition of the great work you've done

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

When you are formatting the numbering, set the alignment to Right instead
of
Left and your numbers will align on the ones digit.

so
all may benefit.

wrote in message ...
Frankly I'm nervous about doing this, because patches often seem to

introduce
new problems and this is now my livelihood! For example, various
articles

say
the SP 2(?) causes Word to freeze!

There is this risk with all software. On the whole my original Word
2000

works
well, with the exception of the problems described (which may be due to

the
original author playing with stuff). The only real bug I've ever
noticed

until
I tried to edit the current file is that in numbering, the single
numbers

line
up with the tens in the double, ie they do not comply with mathematical

(Tidy)
practice...

An example of the reason for my caution about software is yesterday I

installed
the anti-virus software Vet. Now it takes control of my browser and
takes

me to
trial redirection pages that don't redirect. It hangs up my machine
when

I try
to delete it. And generally it's messed up everything so that I shall

probably
have to takes hours to clean my disk and reinstall all my software!

Shauna Kelly wrote:

Hi aalaan

I'm using Word 2000 with no updates

Then it's time to update! Go to
http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/default.aspx and click "Check for

updates"
in roughly the top right-hand corner.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

wrote in message

Hi all you experts!

I'm using Word 2000 with no updates. I have a handful of very
irritating problems and would be gald of your expert answers.

1 What are the little black squares in several places in
(someone
else's) documents? I can't reach them with the cursor. How can I
get
rid of them?

2 Every now and then the cursor disappears completely and I'm

flying
blind. OK in other places in the document. What's happening?

3 Sometimes when I block large chunks of text the block reaches
stop and I have to deal with that and then select a new block.

4 Sometimes the delete key will not delete and I have to block
mark
and then delete.

5 Sometimes random linefeeds seem to occur and break up
continuous
text.

6 I need to work with 50,000-word and up documents. Is thi size
particular danger?

Your replies to any of these will save my sanity! Thanks

aalaan